December 11, 2008

What will I do?

Right now, when I say no, and she turns to look at me with that mischievous gleam in her eye then turns back to tipping over the trash can, I can just bolt over to her and pick her up. As Bill Cosby once said
"You have a two-year-old ,
you say 'Come here!'
the child says 'No!'
you go and get the child,
that's yes".
And she bicycles her legs in the air, sometimes screeching, sometimes laughing. Then it's on to the next thing. I give her a book, a toy, we sing a song, whatever.
But I have this dread. I realize I have no idea how to discipline my child. There are a million books out there and they all have different ideas. Some say to use "Time Outs", others encourage "Time Ins". There are so many different titles,
"Don't be afraid to discipline your child"
"How to raise a spirited child"
"What to do with a troublesome child"
"Breaking bad behavior".
What do they know? Kids act crazy no matter what, if you ask me. And I am very guilty of shaking my heads at other people's children through out the years, vowing that my child (when I had one) would not behave this way. And now that I have one I want to hang my head in shame for all that ignorant judgment I tried to pass. My kid screams when you take stuff away from her too. She hits other children. She refuses eighty percent of the food I try to give her. She throws a tantrum when I put her in her stroller. She tries to grab everything that is in her reach at the grocery store.
I just try to stay calm. Gentle, firm. I feel like the most important thing is to keep my temper. But what about later? When she's bigger, when she understands more? When I actually have to make her see the consequences of what she does? Will I be strong enough? Will I be able to stand in front of her and demand attention and obedience? Is that even what I should expect?
Will I just be afraid of making her hate me so will submit to her every whim?
When she does something that is defiant or unexpected, I feel my throat shake, my chest constrict. I miss a beat sometimes and have to struggle to find my footing. I worry that I will give up and let her run wild.
But then I understand that I won't. I won't because I love her. And I can see clearly the benefits of being firm with her. She's smart, healthy, strong, curious, adventurous. But she is also new. Every time something is questionable to her, be it a person she has never seen before or a loud sound outside, she looks at me. She is asking me with her eyes, "Is this allright?"
So, I have to tell her
This is ok, this is not. That's my job. And you know what? I'm totally up for it!

Yes, I'll be fine. I just think about it a lot. As I think (with a substantially larger amount of terror) about her teenage years. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that I will have to, god willing, raise a teenager.
Whoa boy...

No comments: