November 18, 2008

Anxiety Dreams

In our dreams, we always seem to send our babies way into the future without giving them the time to grow up.
Before my baby was born, I would dream that I would bring her home from the hospital and call everyone in to look at her, amazed that she was talking already. Then the dream would switch and she would be crawling around and I would be saying,
"Isn't it incredible? She' s only three days old and she's already crawling!"

Now, she's starting to stand up unassisted for about ten seconds at a time and flirting with the idea of getting he self off of the bed.
(Our bed is very low, so she can actually scoot herself off backwards if I place her in the right position). So, a few nights ago I dreamt that she was getting off the bed and walking around and that I was thrilled at her ability to walk so early and so suddenly without any assistance from me.

I sent a video of my daughter trying to stand and falling over to my sister, who is studying film making and is currently working on a movie set for school. The next day she reported this dream:

Since Ms. Foo was starting to learn to walk, they wanted to give her a job doing sound on her movie set. But she kept falling over so they had to prop her up with the corner of the wall and the boom mic. (What's a boom mic?)

I have always heard of people having dreams like this about their babies, we are all so anxious to see them grow and learn and do all kinds of amazing stuff. But we are also anxious about them changing from babies to kids.
Babies being so sweet and adoring and kids being ones for testing limits and throwing tantrums and turning into teenagers.
I think we are afraid we won't know how to handle it.
I am, anyway. I guess I can't speak for anyone else.
Maybe that's why we dream like this. A combination of excitement and a hidden desire for babies to stay babies while becoming fully functional beings.

1 comment:

Andrea J. Serrano said...

Since Ms. Foo was starting to learn to walk, they wanted to give her a job doing sound on her movie set. But she kept falling over so they had to prop her up with the corner of the wall and the boom mic. (What's a boom mic?)

I laughed so hard, I cried, especially picturing her tiny little self standing in the corner with a boom mic and big ass head phones on... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love it!