November 12, 2008

Exploding Peas

While making two new foods for the baby, I came across some very silly setbacks.

The first had to do with sweet rice, which Ms. Foo did not like incidentally. I wonder why? Who doesn't like sweet rice!

I tried a store bought version first and ended up eating it myself.
Last Sunday, I decided to try and make some for breakfast. I looked up a recipe on the Internet and found that you can make it with
"Last nights left over rice!" I thought, Great! I have left over rice from last night!
It actually came out perfectly, or so I thought. It smelled good, the consistency seemed right, and then I tasted it.
I wanted to throw up. Why did it tasted like that?
Ohhhhh, I'm so dumb. Last night's white rice had garlic, oil and onions in it. Yummy, yummy.
So I started cooking some rice to try again. La dee da, everything going well, I know how to cook plain rice, easy huh?
Nope. I covered it, lowered the heat and proceeded to burn the darling rice.
Forget it.

Then there was the split pea soup, which she loved. I stewed all the ingredients together and then poured half in the blender. (There was too much to fit in all at once). I held the lid on tight and turned it on.
PLAH!!!! All over the wall, my roommate's bananas, my strong cloth shopping bag, the table cloth, the trash bag box. ME! I screamed because it was hot and burned my arm. My husband and I cleaned it up and I tried again.
PLAH!!!
Oh, dear. I remembered this happened the last time I made this soup. It must be something to do with the heat or the consistency or something. Anyway, I finally got it to work and served it up with bread and grilled chicken and it was great. Ms. Foo lapped it up. And the next day I was still finding soup on the side of the cabinet.

Here are the recipes if you want to try them.

The sweet rice is a link since I still don't know how to make it.

Split Pea Soup
Special thanks to Marian for this recipe


1 lb of dried split peas
3 potatoes
1 zucchini
1 carrot
1 clove of garlic
1/4 sliced onion
salt to taste. I also use chicken bouillon, of course this is optional as well as the garlic and onion depending on if you give your baby these things.

  • Bring peas to a boil in a large pot. Cook until peas are almost tender and water is starting to turn green.
  • Cut potatoes, zucchini and carrots into small pieces and add to boiling water. Small pieces are suggested so they will cook faster.
  • Add onion, garlic and salt.
  • Cook until all veggies are very soft.
  • Put soup in blender, hold down lid with a brick. (Just kidding).
  • Blend. Your done! And it's so delicious.

Arroz con Leche

http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/sweetsanddesserts/r/arrozconleche.htm

No comments: