November 26, 2008

Motrin

I hadn't seen the Motrin commercial. Had any of you? I just happened by it today on the Internet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mztymu72l7c


Watch it if you would like.

I think they could have gone about it differently.

The ad is about taking Motrin to deal with the pain of wearing your baby in a sling. I, personally, have never experienced an amount of pain sufficient enough to warrant taking a pain med, and I wear Ms. Foo all the time.
This doesn't mean others don't. So, sure, market the drug to us moms. Why not?
They could have said,
"Oh, la la la, it's so hard being a mom, lugging a stroller up and down stairs in the subway, carrying your baby around the house, wearing her in a baby Bjorn, running after her, changing her diaper while she squirms, getting a headache when she unloads an entire book shelf".
Wearing a baby is not the only part of mother hood that may cause you sore muscles.

Instead they demeaned us. Those of us who believe that "wearing" your child helps your her become more secure and independent. That she will cry less.
She does, cry less. Less than what? Less than I expected. She is at 11 months old, uncannily independent. She loves being in the sling. As soon as she sees it she starts bouncing up and down and reaching her arms up.
People ask me if my back hurts. It does sometimes. But that is because I've tied it on wrong. Or I've had her in it for a really long time.
Funny, though, I've never thought of taking Motrin.
Anyway, Motrin scoffed at the whole baby wearing thing. Making it seem like a fashion trend. A "supposedly great bonding experience".
You can imagine that this got a rise out of a lot of women. Motrin got tons of angry emails and I believe they canned the campaign.
Like I said, it was not a bad idea to market to moms. And they could have used sling wearing as one example among many areas of life with munchkin for the possible need of medicinal relief. But they did wrong when they targeted mamas who carry their babies in slings as martyrs who are buying in to the latest baby trend instead of women who want the best for their babies and are following the lead of women all over the world and since the beginning of time.

No comments: