August 22, 2008

Baby Eczema

It always comes back. It seems to hurt you more than it does your baby. It starts a month or so after birth as little bumps on her cheeks. And then a sort of yellow crust grows. You call the doctor, she says its not serious. Then, the skin seems to open up and begins to weep! Your baby can't keep her hands away from it. She rubs them on the pillow, against her sleeper and with the gloves you put over her little hands. All this causing the skin to open up even more. You call the doctor. She gives you an ointment and...it doesn't work.
Ok, ok, it does work for many people as it did for my neighbor. But for so many people is does not. And this causes anguish and desperation as the problem seems to get worse and worse. My baby suffered from this condition and so in my search for a solution I encountered many mothers who told of their own battles with it. Most of them turned to home remedies after the doctor recommended ointment failed. What I learned is, there are as many remedies as there are babies, (roughly). It seems that every child's chemistry demands something different. A remedy that worked wonders for Elizabeth will do nothing for Henry. (Fictional characters). But none of them make matters worse and are worth trying until you find the one for you. Here are a few of them.


  • A&D Diaper rash ointment
This is what finally worked for me and can be applied as little or as often as needed. It began to work immediately!
  • Rosa de Castillo
Also known as Rose Hip. This is a small rose bud that is sold dry. Boil it until the water changes color and clean the affected area with the cooled water and a cotton ball. If the eczema is all over the body, bathe your baby in the cooled water. (Not cold, just cooled from boiling). This remedy cleared up the condition for a friend of mine, but just managed to keep the area from crusting over in my case.

Note: This flower can be a little hard to find. While I waited for it to be sent to me from New Mexico, I dried some rose petals and boiled them. They worked just as well.
  • Watkins' Red Clover salve and Smith's Rosebud salve
  • Gentle Naturals Baby Eczema Cream
  • Eucerin Baby Aquaphor
This is also a wonderful product if you baby suffers from very dry skin. Apply it all over her body as soon as she gets out of the bath to lock in moisture.
  • Rosemary tea
This helps the area from becoming infected

For more information on Baby Eczema, click here.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/eczema_atopic_dermatitis.html



All of the information in this article is based on personal experience. I have no medical certification and all activities should be discussed with your doctor to make sure they are safe for your specific situation.



2 comments:

Senaida said...

I like this. Its so wierd how I don't have a baby and yet I read your blogs everyday to learn about it. Hahaha. I'm sure it will help when I do have a baby though. You should seriously work on that mag and have this as one of the sections. It would be awesome.

Senaida said...

Hi mi Hita,
I loved all your articles and I'm so glad I got a chance to read them. They are all so interesting and really kept my attention. I especially love "Cookie Monster". That was so cute I laughed out loud. That you for sharing your gift of writing. It's so wonderful and I'm so proud of you. Keep them coming and I will get on as often as possible.
I love you, Mama :)