August 21, 2008

The Other Mothers: A follow-up

Yesterday, my sister and I were remembering what things were like at our old jobs. She worked in a hotel and I worked in a restaurant. What both our experiences had in common was the shameless hierarchy in the work place. New employees were treated like idiots and most of the workload was put on them while those who had "paid their dues" got away with murder. We both recalled how we, as soon as we had been there a while, had jumped right on the bandwagon and did not treat new comers with respect. It was as if all the experiences the person had had as a human being before being hired had no value and they were just pods waiting to be filled with the doctrine of our company.
She mentioned that we may have behaved this way because we felt that, since we had to go through it, everyone else should have to as well. Why should they get it "easy" if we did not? Heaven forbid we try and change things and welcome new faces with warmth and understanding.
Well, perhaps this has a little bit to do with what I talked about yesterday. I'm sure all those ladies who jump to criticize me without even knowing me had to endure the same treatment when they were new mothers. And, judging from my past behavior, it is very likely that I will automatically divert to this type of behavior when my children are grown and a fresh batch of new mother's are carrying their babies through the dairy aisle of the super market.
Heaven forbid I should try and change things,unless...I'll check back with you in twenty years.

1 comment:

Senaida said...

This is the same in film. Working on that last movie I did everyone who had "Above the line" jobs, or everyone who felt like they new more than the students treated them like crap. This is why I like indi film making, everyone is nice to eachother... for the most part. Hopefully when you see a mother in the future that you think may need help, you will look back on what you wrote and think of polite ways to tell them instead of lashing out like the other woman did to you. (maybe lashing is not the right word... but you get the idea?) Love you