August 19, 2008

Baby Slings

It is not a controversial issue but there are mixed feelings on the subject. When I walk down the street with my baby in a sling, some people look at me and smile and some people (especially older women) give me dirty looks and mutter as they pass by. A lot of this has to do with safety. There are many who believe carrying a child in a sling is unsafe. And there are others that believe that there is nothing better and does wonders for your child's development.

The Baby Wearers say:
  • When you wear your baby, she feels ultimately secure and will cry less.
  • When your child is at eye level with adults, they will interact more with your child, thus helping your child develop socially.
  • Wearing your baby is a great way to get things done around the house when your child insists on being held but you still need two hands.
  • Women all over the world wear their babies.
  • Babies need to be held as much as possible. It helps them be more independent later if they feel secure from the start. (Contrary to the belief that you must leave your child alone so they will learn to self soothe.)

Those apposed to or unsure about baby wearing say:
  • It is dangerous. If you fall while carrying your baby, she will be hurt as well. Whereas if you fall while pushing a stroller, the stroller will most likely stay standing.
  • Your child is going to fall out.


While there are definitely more reasons why you should wear your baby, the two reasons for not wearing her are pretty alarming and are worth thinking about.

My baby wearing experiences have taught me that:
  • It is something that you have to practice. You have to wear your baby around the house for a while without doing anything else until you get comfortable and learn to trust yourself and the sling.
  • You have to find new ways to adjust the sling about every two weeks as your baby's size and weight change.
  • Wearing your baby while doing another activity is not like doing the activity without wearing a baby. Yes, you have two hands, however, the baby is heavy and, if she is in a hip sling, it can be a bit cumbersome when trying to, say, wash dishes. You have to compensate for that.
  • Wearing your baby on your back gives you much more freedom to move around like you would without your baby, but my baby gets tired of it quickly.
  • People interact with my baby a lot more when she is in the sling than when she is in the stroller.
  • When she was a newborn, she took her best naps when in the sling.
  • After an extended period of time in a stroller, she starts to get cranky. I've carried her around in the sling for hours and she never complains unless she is hungry.
  • I find she is more alert to what is going on around her when she is in the sling than when in the stroller. I don't know why, but it's true for me.
  • She has never fallen out of the sling. There are steadfast, secure methods for wearing your baby and once you get used to them, you will never have to worry. Here are is a link where you can learn how to wear your baby.
http://www.mamatoto.org/

When I do take her in a stroller, I take the sling with me. I can always put the things I am carrying in the stroller and carry her. I may have to carry her anyway, so a sling makes things a lot easier.
You should always secure your baby with your hand when carrying her in a hip sling. You are free to use both hands when you need to but that doesn't mean you should walk around with your arms swinging all the time. She won't fall out as long as you aren't bending all over the place, but she will bounce around a lot if you don't hold her.

The idea that if I fall, she falls, does worry me sometimes. Especially with stairs. So, if I am going to be carrying a lot of packages, I use a stroller. If I am going down or up stairs, I move slowly and hold on to the banister, ignoring all those people who are in a rush and are maybe cursing me (silently or not). Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control, and that is a choice you have to make. I choose to be as careful as I can and hope for the best.
Here is a link for more information on the benefits of baby wearing.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/baby/babywearing-the-benefits

Here is another good one. SCROLL DOWN TO THE SAFETY TIPS. They are priceless.
http://www.llli.org/FAQ/babywearing.html

No comments: