August 14, 2008

Cookie Monster

Is Cookie Monster the symbol of a baby learning how and what to eat? Cookie Monster will eat anything in site. Cookies, plates, street lamps. I let my baby try and feed herself for the first time this morning. I put a plate of cereal puffs and tiny pieces of banana in front of her and then dug into my own bowl of cereal. Who knows what made me think that she would immediately begin to daintily pick up each piece of food with her little thumb and forefinger and expertly bring it to her mouth. Nope. She batted at the plate for a while, throwing the food all over the place. Then, when I had refilled it, she grabbed handfuls of food and then brought her clenched fist to her mouth but could not get anything in because all the food was in her clenched fist. After about ten minuted most of the food was on the floor and she succeeded in getting about three pieces of food in her mouth. Isn't this what usually happens with Cookie Monster? And then, after she found the plate empty, she picked it up with both hands and started gnawing at it. It was the funniest thing.

No comments: