October 23, 2008

Chicken Pox

Someone asked me why I let them put so many vaccines in my baby. That when we were kids, it was just a few and now, every time they go in, there are four shots, two in each leg.
I don't remember what it was like when I was a kid. But a lot of people now are against immunizations.
One of the big ones is the vaccine for chicken pox. A friend of mine told me that there were two reported deaths from the chicken pox vaccine last year and none from the actual virus.
When I mentioned the vaccine to a family member and voiced my opinion that it seemed unnecessary because the chicken pox are not life-threatening in children, he said,
"yeah, but it's inconvenient".
Inconvenient.
Two days ago, I went to the pediatrician for a check up for Ms. Foo. He mentioned that on her next visit she would be getting immunized for measles, mumps and rubella and also for the chicken pox. I decided to ask him why a vaccine for chicken pox had come about.
This is what he said:
When kids get chicken pox, they miss school and parents miss work. We are trying to eliminate the amount of missed days.
Also, when children get chicken pox, they are immune to it for the rest of their lives. But if they do not get it, when they are adults, the chicken pox could be contracted in the form of shingles and this is much more dangerous.
Now, it is less likely for your daughter to contract chicken pox as a child, since everyone is being immunized against it. If you do not immunize her, she might get it as an adult.

So, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here. I have never really gone to either side when it comes to immunizations. I just did it because that is what you do. I got immunized and have never suffered for it but never liked the idea of the large amount of vaccines with their chemicals and toxins that are now being injected into our children. But then I get scared to not give them because of the what if's.
However I felt I had to draw the line at chicken pox. But now, I can't, because she won't get it as a child. She'll have no one to get it from. And I'll put her at risk as an adult.
We've created more of a problem here. Missed days? Was that really the reason?
What's next, a vaccine against the common cold? Headaches? I know! A vaccine for sneezing!
And you know what? YOU CAN STILL GET SHINGLES EVEN IF YOU ARE IMMUNE TO CHICKEN POX! I know this for a fact as another family member of mine who actually gave ME the chicken pox as a child recently suffered from a (thankfully) mild bout of the shingles.
So what's the point? I understand polio, I understand the meningitis and the rubella, but chicken pox?
And now I can't even make a real choice about it?
Sigh
I don't even know why I'm talking about it.

P.S. Guess what I just read. There are studies showing that the vaccine wears off so every 5 years or so the kids have to get a booster shot, whereas before the vaccine was believed to offer lifetime protection. I feel like we are just trying to patch a leak with scotch tape here! Here is the link I got this from.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/179426/chicken_pox_vaccine_wares_off.html?cat=5

No comments: