October 3, 2008

A question and some celery

I received a question asking which Grandmother's gave the advice for yesterday's blog.
Well, onion tea was given to me by a sweet woman who is Ms. Foo's adopted Grandmother. Ms. Foo is named after her and we love her very much.
The ginger tea was a remedy used by my husband's grandmother in Mexico.
The tomato and salt on the throat was given to me by my own grandmother on my mother's side.
And, finally, the boiled rice water by my neighbor's grandmother in Macedonia.

The question also asked if they work.
I have personally tried the onion and ginger teas and have found them SUPER effective. I have also given the recipe to a few other people and they have come back to me astounded at their strength.

I have not tried the tomato yet, but my grandmother has never given me advice that did not carry.

The rice water I have not tried either but I have heard it from a few other people, including the woman who suggested the onion tea.

AND here is another one for colicky babies:

Boil celery. Mix one ounce of it's water in a bottle with baby's milk or plain water or juice.
Usually, colicky baby's become fussy at around the same time every day. If you administer the celery water about half an hour before your baby gets fussy, it will really help if not get rid of the problem.

I helped care for a colicky baby a few years ago. He was crying and crying. The upstairs neighbor came down stairs with a stalk of celery in her hand and told us about this remedy. We gave it to him and he fell fast asleep. So, I know this one works.

No comments: